Thursday, October 08, 2009

mommy loves to wr -

A couple weeks ago, I found a shard of green chalk at the playground while Theo was rooting around in the sand for pine cones. I wrote Theo's name on the sidewalk for him, and after he eloquently scribbled over top of that for a while, started to write my own little message to the world: Mommy loves to wr -

Interrupted by one of those lazy fall wasps, meandering just a touch too near my son's face.

I'm amused by the turnings my mind takes when a piece of chalk turns up in the sand: First, that my son's name comes first; and then, when I'm with him, I'll always write Mommy for me; and if a dash away from his danger means a dash away from my self-expression, so be it.

But also that I still love to write. It's just that, at the moment, my voice is busy singing to a little one, and rediscovering the incredibly complex syllabics of our spoken word with him, and murmuring into the chosen, holy wordlessness of mother's milk.

So be it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Minkster: Life Is A Quest said...

Ah, Sarah, I love your spirit. :) I'm glad that you're loving the motherhood! I imagine it's the next best thing from having Jesus and Josh in your life. :)God bless you all abundantly, dear!

Love, love, love and love

Mink

9:03 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love to read what you wr... :) i'm so glad you're still taking time to scribble, but also, that you're taking time to love your son... thank you for the sweet letter you sent me, sarah. love to you, em.

8:13 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home