Thursday, August 10, 2006

where there's smoke...

The other day my little brother and I noticed a wisp of smoke spiralling from a poplar tree. But as we passed by, we saw it was really a swirl of bees.

I thought of the people milling around in white, gathering honey from the edge of a familiar field of weeds I didn't know hived bees.

I thought, too, of the kids we know here at the shelter, the unexpected places of sweetness and fury.

Lord grant us your grace and your truth. Honey and flame.


Ever Present Need - Steve Bell
Lyrics adapted from Daniel Ladinski’s translation of ‘Our Need for Thee’ in Love Poems from God.
Original poem by St. Francis of Assisi.

Darkness is an unlit wick
A simple spark would vanquish it
Truly I could burst to flame
Every time you call my name
Do I do for you the same

God is like a honey bee
Penetrates the soul of me
Dearly draws the sweetness in
Nectar of the meek love is
He in me and I in him

In our ever present need of thee
Grant we fathom peace
Fashion instruments of souls set free
For don’t the caged ones weep...

© 2003 Signpost Music.

5 Comments:

Blogger Angel - Having a Nemesis said...

Hi there :) I do live in Edmonton, and I AM SO GLAD THAT YOU ARE WILLING TO TAKE THEM ALL! There are three big boxes, and likely more that will arrive once I filter through the boxes that I'm shipping (moving overseas) yet again, and as I continue to clean out my house. You'd be amazed at how many books I'm finding under beds.

If you want to give me a quick email, that would be so much better! atthestars(at)hotmail.com

Thank you for replying, btw, I am so glad these will be going somewhere where they will be put to good use!!

10:52 a.m.  
Blogger Aaron Wong said...

Sarah, wicked post! Please make sure to wear your bee repellant next time you leave the house. thank you.

5:28 a.m.  
Blogger sparrow anne said...

well... guess what! josh and i went for a bike ride, and visited the bees, who were happily zooming in and out of their boxes on a sunny day. later talked to the owner (friendly man in a blue trans-am) who told us bees won't sting when the sun's out (provided you don't bug them), and invited us for coffee. nice fellow, nice bees. no repellant necessary!

3:53 p.m.  
Blogger Mission Musings said...

Blogged over from Hope Mission Connection... Congratulations on your engagement!

Just wanted to tell you that Steve Bell is the singer for our annual fund raising banquet in May! I'm pretty excited!

7:24 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it Breast florida ft implant pierce Autumn themed wedding invitations yellow orange shoes Depakote er online pharmacy prescription Imitrex injection car gps maps capsule depakote sprinkle evisu jeans clothing shoes accessory Prescription interaction Canadian no ionamin prescription Buy fioricet online order tramadol on line merchant account orange county Live era 87-93 guns n' roses Pdas teacher self report ii Usa eagle hockey gloves Pharmacy in mexico weight loss pill

7:19 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home